Johanna posted this on Facebook. 2009 was a tough year for me – I am so thankful for the Lord’s unfailing faithfulness and steadfast love. He carried me through even the darkest parts. Praise God! I know that no matter what He has in store for me this year, I can count on the One who never changes.
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
Moving in with the Joneses.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Getting over him.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
Finding a small(ish) group of incredible people my age at Bethlehem.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Being away from home for Christmas… feeling like I’m losing everyone I love in Pittsburgh, Romania, etc… having to accept that relationships change and grow differently.
5. Pick three words to describe 2009.
Painful. Challenging. Sanctifying.
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2009 (don’t ask them; guess based on how you think your spouse sees you).
I’m not married.
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2009 (again, without asking).
Still not married.
8. What were the best books you read this year?
Les Miserables, Hinds Feet on High Places, Chasing the Dragon, Inheritance cycle…
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I’m not afraid to be honest with the Lord about my desire for marriage and fear that He won’t give it. …Also, I’m not a cessationist anymore.
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I stopped trying to be who I thought everyone expected me to be.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I feel like I regressed a lot this year, although theologically, I know that’s not true.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I learned what it is to have brothers… and how to love them with brotherly affection. It bothers me to say that in past tense. It’s a process.
15. What was the most enjoyable area of managing your home?
Laundry at Dan and Gretchen’s while watching the Colin Firth/Jennifer Ehle version of Pride and Prejudice.
16. What was your most challenging area of home management?
Helping Johanna keep up with dishes and laundry.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Probably Facebook…. or the Twilight books.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
Hmm it’s a toss-up between TBI Essentials and 7th st small group.
19. What was the biggest thing you learned this past year?
God is not cruel. He is not a deceiver. He doesn’t delight in my pain. He doesn’t promise me things just to get my hopes up and then pull the rug out from under me. He is ALWAYS faithful and He is ALWAYS good!!!!!
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2009 for you.
“Why are you cast down, O my soul? And why are you in turmoil within me? Hope in God; for I shall again praise Him, my salvation and my God.” – Psalm 42:11
Music: Between the Trees – “Scarecrow”