Eye Candy

It really is my goal to upload a photo every day instead of waiting weeks at a time and then uploading en masse, but que puis-je faire?

So, here goes a massive update from the last few weeks with notes on the subject material.

048/365

6.8.11 – 5:57pm
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: Canon EFS 18-55mm
Notes: So my best friend Evan is one of the most beautiful, creative, and brilliantly talented people I know. And she designed this beautiful cable knit slouchy hat, named it after me, and listed the pattern in her brand new start-up Etsy shop. The only problem is that she has no confidence with a camera. So I whipped up a hat from her pattern, found a fabulous friend to model it for me, and took a bunch of photos to promote it. You can’t see the hat very well in this one, but it’s easily my favorite from the shoot.

049/365

6.9.11 – 6:24pm
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens:  Canon 85mm prime

Notes: Our neighbors asked me to do some newborn photos of their newest addition to the family. It was hard to pick a favorite because he is SO precious! But that’s why Jesus gave us Picnik collages.

050/365   (WOOT! Made it to 50!!)

6.13.11 – 1:46pm
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: Canon 85mm prime

Notes: One of my favorite people on the planet came to visit and we went to one of my favorite places in Minneapolis. And of course, we both chose our favorite beverages there– although we both felt like they didn’t taste quite like they were supposed to.

051/365

6.16.11 – 5:23pm
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: Canon 85mm prime

Notes: My dear friend Lindsey is in Uganda right now helping out a new orphanage run by Nightlight. I designed this little satchel just for her before she left and it’s easily my favorite thing I’ve made lately. I remember on all my trips to Romania wishing I’d had something like this– something I could use to keep my passport, tickets, ID, iPod, and some other essentials readily available while I was traveling. Something small enough that I could stuff it in my carry-on if needed, discreet and comfortable enough that I could wear it under my clothes if I was somewhere unsafe, and pretty enough that I could enjoy wearing it around. That’s me. Fashion + function, can’t have one without the other. I was actually kind of tempted to keep it for myself because I was so pleased with it, but I think my dear nomadic friend will put it to far better use than I could at present.

These ones are a few favorites from the wedding I shot on Saturday with the fabulously talented and unfailingly patient Wendy Maybury. I’m not sure if wedding photography is for me– I might be just a little too emotional and not quite assertive enough for that. But I haven’t completely closed that door.

052/365

053/365

054/365

6.18.11
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: Canon 85mm prime

055/365

6.21.11 –  10:10am
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: Canon 85mm prime

Notes: Morrow and I had a sweet, long morning together today.  At one point, he asked me “Katie, you take a picture me?” I asked what he wanted to do for his picture. He said “Baby Morrow”, which is one of his favorite games. Basically, he gets a pacifier and a blanket and lots of snuggling. Usually he also gets to go in the Johnny Jumper, but since that wasn’t available, we stripped him down to his diaper and took some really hilarious pictures. This one is easily my favorite though.

And of course, one sibling can’t have his picture taken without the other wanting to do the same. Orison came flying down the stairs, stripped down to his underwear with a blanket, demanding in his (totally obnoxious) baby voice that I take his picture too. Since we felt one overgrown baby was disturbing enough, we decided to go with this instead.

056/365

6.21.11 – 1:01 pm
Body: Canon Rebel XS
Lens: Canon EFS 18-55mm

Notes: The photo itself took about 5 mins. The editing took all afternoon. But I’m ridiculously pleased with the results. And Orison was too. Why yes, I am the most awesome nanny you’ve ever met.

Advertisements

12 thoughts on “Eye Candy

1. I’m not sure if I’ve commented before, but I came across your blog through a tweet of Talitha’s and I’ve loved reading your thoughts and seeing your incredible pictures. I love the one of Orrison… so clever and I bet he was thrilled!

2. yes, you are the most awesome nanny ever. i praise God that you are here and helping and being generally awesome on a daily basis.

1. Ahh, I was just kidding when I said that. Obviously, I’m NOT the best nanny– that is, I can’t fly or jump into chalk paintings or make lederhosen out of curtains… or even go a whole day without getting frustrated at some child. But it’s very sweet of you to say so.

3. Hi, Katie. I love your blog and photos – it’s awesome! Are you willing to share what editing programme you use? I don’t have anything at the moment and I’m thinking of investing in some, but don’t really know where to start. Thanks.

1. Thank you so much! I use a number of different programs, actually. It sort of depends on which one is going to give me what I want. Both photos 48 and 49 were done with a mix of Picasa and Picnik.com, 50-55 were done with Windows Live Photo, and 56 with Picnik.com only.

I’ve tried the free trial of Lightroom (available for download from the Adobe website)– I thought I really wanted it, but honestly, I found it to be a little beyond me. The studio I was trained in uses Digital Darkroom Express– which I really, really love and would consider investing in. But you should try some of the free ones first– what one can’t do, another can, and so on. I hope that’s helpful!

Comments are closed.